On Thursday the 30.08.2012 at 11:04 CET, the second experimental rocket of the TU Wien Space team launched in Biscarrosse, France. As planned, the rocket separated at apogee releasing the small and later the main parachute. After a soft landing 1.2 km from the launch site “STR-02 Hornet” finished its maiden voyage “VOL NOMINAL” and sent it’s GPS Coordinates via RF Telemetry to the control station.
STR-02 Hornet was designed and built in a time frame of 12 months by 8 students with the help of many sponsors and various institutes of the TU Wien.
- Diameter 89mm
- Length 2,6m
- Weight 5000g (without Motor)
- 54mm Motor (CTI K570)
- FMS 2.0 (Nose cone section)
- FMS 1.0 (Body tube)
- Telemetry, control station
- Communication via Opto-Koppler
- Rotation stabilizer
- Mechanical separation mechanism
- GoPro camera
- Start detection via Jack
- Mini camera at separation point
- Pitot tube
- Two staged recovery
- Stretch analysis of tubes with strain gauges
Apogee 1800 m, maximum velocity 250m/s (Mach 0.74), maximum acceleration 123m/s², climb duration 16s, separation time 14s, total flight time 3.5 min.
…post-flight-simulation mit OpenRocket